Review: Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara (Vegan & Cruelty-Free)
Today is the day we've all been waiting for... I am FINALLY getting to cruelty-free and vegan beauty product reviews! As of right now I am planning on doing my own makeup for my wedding in September, which means a LOT of product testing - and I'm taking you along for the ride! After using this much-hyped about mascara for over two months, I feel as though I'm ready to give you the full lowdown. Check it out after the jump!
What Too Faced has to say about it...
'Take home our Better Than Sex mascara and all your desires for lush, incredibly intense lashes will be fulfilled. One application of our collagen-fueled formula and touch of our specially shaped brush will leave you begging for more. One coat and lashes are full, defined and stretched to unbelievable lengths. Two coats and they’re reaching unbelievable heights of drama. Three coats and you’ll believe in magic.
More to love...
- Film-forming Polymer for smudge-proof, all day wear
- Acacia Senegal Tree Extract to nourish, thicken and lock curl in place
- Unique Peptides for the deepest, intense black possible
- 1,944% more volume*
- 100% saw longer lashes**
- 100% saw dramatic volume**
- 93% saw base-to-tip curl**
- 8 out of 10 say it’s the best mascara they’ve ever used**
- 3.4 out of 10 say great lashes are better than sex**
- 3.1 out of 10 agree that this mascara is so good, it’s better than sex**
- Vegan Friendly
- *results observed in a clinical study.
- **results observed in a consumer study.' (from toofaced.com)
Cost: $30-35 CAD
Ingredients: Water, Synthetic Beeswax, Paraffin, Glyceryl Stearate, Acacia Senegal Gum, Butylene Glycol, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Bran Wax, Stearic Acid, Palmitic Acid, Polybutene, VP/Eicosene Copolymer, Cera Carnauba/Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax/Cire de Carnauba, Aminomethyl Propanol, Glycerin, Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Disodium EDTA, Polyester-11, PVP, Cellulose, Trimethylpentanediol/Adipic Acid/Glycerin Crosspolymer, Propylene Glycol, Acacia Senegal Gum Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Dextran, Acetyl Hexapeptide-1. May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77499), Black 2 (CI 77266), Ultramarines (CI 77007)
What I have to say about it...
- Holds curl well over the course of the day;
- Gives my lashes a very deep black colour;
- Lengthens noticeably;
- Adds significant volume, and;
- You don't need a lot - one coat for beautiful lashes, two for dramatic ones!
- This mascara can get very clumpy if you don't scrape the excess mascara off of the brush before applying (and sometimes even if you do);
- It is definitely never going to give a natural look (it's not particularly versatile, even one light coat (the middle image above) is dark and dramatic);
- It won't give your lashes a nice curl if you don't use an eyelash curler before and/or after application;
- The formula is very wet and will smudge easily after you first apply it until it dries (the first 5 minutes or so - so don't sneeze!), and;
- It doesn't define the lashes as it claims to - I found the brush to be too full for that and the formula too wet.
- This mascara flakes (crumbles) onto the under eye area within a couple of hours of application and smudges when you try to wipe the flakes away. To be fair, Too Faced never claimed this formula was flake-free - but I would consider that to be a given for any high-end mascara. There is also, of course, the fact that the flaking leads to smudging if you're not VERY careful, which they specifically state their formula won't do.
Final Thoughts: I've enjoyed using this as my daily mascara and absolutely love the length and volume it gives, but I do find the flaking to be a very irritating factor. As I always use an eyelash curler and like more dramatic lashes, the other cons don't really bother me - but due to the flaking I don't feel confident using this mascara on my wedding day. It really is too bad, because otherwise this would be a serious contender!
Would I recommend? I would definitely recommend this mascara if you like a more dramatic look and don't mind keeping tabs on your makeup throughout the day!
Have you tried Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara? What did you think? Is there a vegan and cruelty-free product you'd like me to review? Let me know in the comments below!
Also, be sure to check out my list of cruelty-free beauty brands before you head on your next shopping trip!
Until next time,