Review: Kat Von D Lock-It Tattoo Foundation (Vegan & Cruelty-Free)
Since switching over to vegan and cruelty-free makeup I have been in search of a great foundation for my wedding day. I have tried products from Cover Fx, Too Faced, and more to no avail. After having tried various Kat Von D products, I couldn't help but hope that her foundation would be up to the task. After using it for over a month I think I'm ready to give it an honest review!
What Kat Von D has to say about it:
Lock-It Foundation rocks so hard! Creamy and pigmented, it’s the only long-wear liquid formula we can count on to create a perfect canvas.
One little pump is all it takes to even out discoloration, stop shine and hide blemishes! The coverage is AMAZING, whether you apply with a brush or a sponge. And it’s so long-wear, we can go a full 24 hours without touching up or re-applying (Kat herself has put this to the test). That velvety matte finish will stay flawless through hell or high water!
Science nerds, pay attention! Formulated with 21% pigment, our powerful potion is loaded with proprietary pigments plus an exclusive blend of siliconic elastomers and siliconic esters which bind the formula, so your foundation stays fade-free and transfer- proof! Lock-It, you always have us looking and feeling like a total goddess.
The bottle features an innovative airless chamber design that prevents contamination and maintains Lock-It’s rich consistency. That means you get a fresh, precisely measured dose with every pump!
Rule the Lock-It look! Share your pretty face on Instagram with #kvdlook.
100% Cruelty Free Forever!
Mix a dab of Lock-It Featherweight Primer into your Lock-It Foundation to completely customize your amount of coverage. Can you say #GameChanger?!
Cost: $35 US / $42 CAD
Amount: 1 oz
Is it vegan? Yes!
Is it cruelty-free? Yes!
Shade: Light 46
- Optical Diffusers: Treated pigments visually minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles while increasing luminosity on the skin.
- Emollients: Impart excellent slip and playtime; ensure softness.
- Glycerin: Extremely hydrating.
- Siliconic Elastomers: Long-lasting esters with emollient properties; provide dry, semi-matte finish.
- Mattifying Powders: Texturing agent; increase powder effect and absorption properties.
- Siliconic Ester: Provides no-transfer properties.
Water, Dimethicone, Phenyl Trimethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate, Polysilicone-11, Butylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Dimer Dilinoleyl Dimer Dilinoleate, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Glycerin, Isododecane, Sodium Chloride, Methicone, Glyceryl Caprylate, Calcium Carbonate, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Trihydroxystearin, Potassium Sorbate, Methylpropanediol, Caprylhydroxamic Acid, Disodium Edta, Peg/Ppg-18/18 Dimethicone. May Contain (+/-):CI 77891 (Titanium Dioxide), CI 77492 (Iron Oxide), CI 77491 (Iron Oxide), CI 77499 (Iron Oxide).
What I think…
- Extremely full coverage - covers blemishes and discoloration well on its own;
- Great selection of 20 shades;
- Not drying or oil producing;
- No parabens or synthetic fragrances;
- Beautiful smooth and matte finish;
- Long lasting (all day and night. Really!);
- The pump is great for dispensing product.
- The cost - $42 for foundation is steep;
- Starts at full coverage and can only build up from there - admittedly mixing with primer may solve this problem and I did find that mixing it with my moisturizer sheered it out a bit;
- It dries very quickly making it slightly difficult to work with (I apply as quickly as possible using my fingers). I've heard this can be solved by mixing it with a drop or two of oil (though I haven't tried it) but do find that when I have mixed with my moisturizer it takes more time to dry and therefore becomes a bit easier to apply;
- It can look slightly cakey if too much is applied over uneven skin.
- There is no way to close the foundation after taking it out of the initial packaging so traveling with it is messy.
Final Verdict: I love this foundation. It isn't perfect, but it is pretty amazing! I wish the pump could be closed for travelling, as wasting a $42 foundation in my makeup bag is no fun. However, this foundation has the best finish of any vegan foundation I have yet to try! If I can find a foundation as beautiful as this one wth medium rather than full coverage (to let my freckles shine through) I'll be golden. If not, this one is the winner for me!
Would I recommend? Yes, to anyone with normal to oily skin. For those with dry skin I would avoid it due to the matte finish and heavier coverage.
Have you tried Kat Von D's Lock-It Tattoo Foundation? What are your thoughts?
Do you have another favourite vegan foundation to recommend?
Let me know in the comments!
Until next time,